Saturday

Grandmother-in-Law Poems




Name: Marjorie Dodson
Age in photo: 90 years old

She passed away in 2010.

Poems written in 1988, ... at age 70


---

Valley of the Rio


In the valley of the Rio down Texas way
That’s where we live and eat and pray
The Rio winds down to the sea
In the land of the towering mesquite tree

You’re never lonely wherever you are
Nights filled with Spanish guitars
When the citrus is in the bloom
Heavenly fragrance fills every room

Vegetables grow row on row
Always plenty of weeds to hoe
The cotton fields are a beautiful sight
Bursting clouds of snowy white

One big harvest after another
Hardly ever a change in weather
Nights full of moonglow and starry skies
Days full of flowers and butterflies

God looked down and blessed this place
Filled with people of the Spanish race
We are proud of this valley of ours
Laying silent under Texas stars.

---

Looking for a Man

There’s gotta be one out there
Someone who needs me, somewhere
I’ve answered ads to Shelia
No one answered, not even one fella

I’m overweight, that I know
But, there’s lots of fat men on the go
Sometimes I despair
There’s gotta be someone out there

I’m lonesome as can be
Won’t someone take pity on me?

---

Christmas Time

Another year is nearly passed
Gee, I feel so old
I lay here and wonder if it’s my last
A winter filled with wind and cold

It’s been a good life
I might make it yet
God’s been good
And I mustn’t fret

It’s Christmas time once more

‘Twas in the parlor, grandchildren on the floor
Smell of pies and cakes coming thru the kitchen door

It’s Christmas time at Grandma’s.

---

Christmas Eve

We went to church on Christmas night
Stars on the snow were shining bright

Thoughts of the Christ child in our minds again
Born to bring peace and good will to man

One wonders what would He say
If He were here today.

---

Two Little Cats


Come over every morning
And curl up at my feet
They know I’m going to give them
Something good to eat

They listen to my troubles
All through the day
Don’t talk back to me
No matter what I say

Just sit and look at me
With Salem blue eyes
Once in a while
I’ll hear a little sigh

Whenever I open the door
They are there to greet me
Sometimes I’m met
By not two, but three

They fill my day with love
No one else will give
Make this world
A better place to live.

---

Holidays

Snow on the mountain, what a beautiful sight
Colors shimmering in the pale moonlight
Looks like a Christmas wonderland
Listen to the music of the forest band

As the wind softly blows through the stately pines
Making music without any lines
Streams rush down to the valley below
Making a path through the glistening snow

We stand in beauty all around
Nature’s harvest of earth and sound
We bow our heads in wonder here
God’s showed us once more He’s ever near.

---

Colorado Storm

Springtime in the Rockies
Isn’t what it’s supposed to be
Floods come down the canyon
It’s quite a sight to see

Thunder storms across the valley
Sounds like pins in a bowling alley

The gods of wrath are waging a war
They want us to know they’re at our door

The garden laid flat by huge hail stones
Raging winds howl in awesome tones

So, you humans better watch out
God’s telling you what it’s all about.

---

Dear Child

Dear child who cannot walk
Dear child who cannot talk
The hours are long for you
Who hasn’t much to do

How can one be so patient
Never cry, but be content
Just sit, day by day
But, never complain in any way?

I see you’re trying so hard to walk
Equally so, when you want to talk
I hope and pray God may see
And make my boy whole for me

But, if He doesn’t
I’ll not cry
I’ll cherish this child
‘Til I die

For in my heart, he holds a place
I’ll always remember his sweet face
When at last he’s called above
He will take with him all my love.

---

How Things Are


We come into this world
And wonder why
The years pass
We get old and die

Life’s road
Is tough to travel
Full of lumps
And lots of gravel

Some of us are strong
And some are weak
Some are mean as ell
And some are meek.

Some troubles are many
And some are few
Guess it depends
On what you do

You get to the top
And then fall down
A lot of crying
Or courage, I’ve found.

---

Ruth

Days filled with sunshine
Nights filled with moonshine
Bouquets of roses through your front door
May you never have pain or hurt any more

Fly through the air on gossamer wings
Look down on us poor human beings
We regret that you had to go
We’ll all miss you, that I know

Feel sorry for us left behind
For we have to face this thing called mankind.

Love you always,

Marjorie

---

Desert Storm

Across the ocean in the desert sand
They fought in a hostile and arid land
For what they thought was good and right
Layed down their lives in a desperate fight

Many a life was lost out there
Showing the world that there’s still someone who cares
Fought day after day in the broiling sun
‘Til the task was over and done

Never to see
Their loved ones again
Layed down their lives in that awful war
Was it to be all fought in vain?

Will we have to do it all over again?


*******

Here we go again back to the desert once more
Only the good Lord knows -- what for?
Our boys will fight ‘til their dying day
No matter how much we cry and pray

What’s the matter with the human race?
They act like someone from outer space
They say we must fight to save our land
The principles for which we stand

I hope they’re right or we’re in trouble
We will disappear like a giant bubble.

---

Bert

Sits alone in his house all day
Thinking of the one who went away
Watches the winds in the bushes outside
Wiping the tears he tries to hide

Because grown men aren’t supposed to cry
Although, I’ve often wondered why
Watches the sun go down
Hears the neighbors coming home from town

All alone in his bed at night
Waiting for the morning light
Another day will soon be here
Bringing hope for another year

This old man has had a long life
Filled with sadness, love and strife.

---

Golden Years


The golden years have come at last
The days are quickly sliding past

My body is drooping
Have troubles stooping
I cannot see
Wonder what’s become of me

My memory shrinks
My hearing stinks
No sense of smell
I look like ell

Everything is going fast
The golden years are here at last.

---

Getting Old

Got wrinkles I can’t erase
All over my hands and face
My walk is down to a shuffle
Isn’t that simply awful?

They talk to me and I can’t hear
Even though they’re standing near
Got the shakes in my hands
They can’t seem to understand

This all comes with getting old
At least that’s what I’ve been told

Oh, Lord, give me grace and let me find
I’ve won against this thing called mankind.

---